Destination Weddings are becoming more and popular with couples who would rather travel to a tropical paradise for a holiday with an intimate guest list, than spend a small fortune on a larger wedding at home.
Destination weddings in tropical locations are an amazing idea, but if you would like to have the legal side of things taken care of at home in Australia, why have two celebrants when you can have just one that does it all?!
You can acquire the services of a local celebrant here in Australia to conduct both a legal ceremony at home AND a destination wedding celebration! I can ensure that the entire marriage process is easier, stress free, more streamlined and a whole lot more personalised!
- You can meet with me well in advance to plan a personalised ceremony face to face BEFORE you arrive at your destination.
- It will eliminate any language barrier problems that can occur when using an international celebrant, or any costly translation services that may be required.
- All the legal paperwork can be completed at home before you leave (no lost or misplaced certificates!)
- You can receive your official, government certificate of marriage at home (minimum processing times apply) eliminating the need to take any legal documents with you.
- Anyone unable to attend your destination wedding can attend the legal ceremony on home ground, at any location of your choice!
All countries have their own rules and regulations when it comes to getting married overseas. Some require both a minister of religion and a civil registrar to conduct two marriage ceremonies held on the same day!
You might need to arrive at your destination days earlier obtain & complete all your correct legal requirements with the relevant consulates.
Some countries also require both parties to be of the same religion, so you could also find yourself visiting religious authorities to arrange a second ceremony, who may not be available on your date!
So put your mind at ease and leave the planning of absolutely every part of your legal marriage to one celebrant!
Q. Can you, as an Australian Civil Marriage Celebrant, perform a legal ceremony overseas?
A. No. I am only licensed to perform legal marriages within Australia.
So, a wedding I conduct overseas would be a ‘Ceremony of Commitment’, which would be EXACTLY like any other wedding, but with a keepsake certificate of commitment in the absence of any legal documents/certificates.
I AM however, authorised to perform legal marriage ceremonies anywhere within Australia!
Q. If I choose to legally marry overseas, will it be recognised back home in Australia?
A. Yes! As long as the following Australian legal requirements are observed;
- your marriage is recognised as valid under the law of the country where the marriage took place and you have a signed certificate evidencing the fact.
- The marrying parties were 18 years of age or over at the time of marriage.
- Neither party was legally married to any other person at the time of marriage.
Q. Would I need to have a legal ceremony back home BEFORE or AFTER my destination wedding?
A. Either! It’s completely up to you.
Q. If I choose to have a legal marriage overseas, will I still need to have a second legal ceremony back home in Australia?
A. No. The marriage certificate you obtain at your destination wedding will be sufficient in establishing the validity of your marriage. Though please keep in mind that some Australian legal institutions may not accept a foreign certificate in order to change your name. Instead, a legal change of name through the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages could be required – which although isn’t a difficult process, would not be necessary if your marriage was registered within Australia!