Destination Weddings

So you’re thinking of a Destination Wedding – FANTASTIC!

But if  you would like to have the legal side of things taken care of at home in Australia, why have two celebrants when you can have one that does it all?!

By acquiring the services of a local celebrant here in Australia to officiate at both a legal ceremony at home AND at your destination wedding location, you can ensure the entire marriage process is easier, stress free, more streamlined and a whole lot more personalised!

  • You can meet with me in advance to plan a personalised ceremony face to face BEFORE you arrive at your destination.
  • It will dismiss any language barrier problems that can occur when using an international celebrant, rather than requiring an extra, costly, translation service that may be required.
  • I will ensure all the legal paperwork has been completed at home before you leave, enabling you to obtain your official certificate of marriage and assisting you with an easy name change process – eliminating the need to take any legal documentation required with you.
  • And anyone unable to attend your destination wedding can attend the legal ceremony at home, at a location of your choice!

All countries have their own rules and regulations when it comes to getting married overseas and some require both a minister of religion and a civil registrar to conduct two marriage ceremonies held on the same day!  So not only would you need to arrive early to spend valuable time visiting consulates to obtain & complete all your correct legal requirements, but as some countries also require both parties to be of the same religion, you might also find yourself visiting religious authorities to arrange a second ceremony, who may not even be available on your date!

So put your mind at ease and leave the planning of absolutely every part of your legal marriage to me!

You’ll be glad you did 🙂


Q. Can you, as an Australian Civil Marriage Celebrant, perform a legal ceremony overseas?

A. No. I am only licensed to perform legal marriages within Australia.
So, a wedding I conduct overseas would be a ‘Ceremony of Commitment’, which would be EXACTLY like any other wedding, but with a keepsake certificate of commitment in the absence of any legal documents/certificates.
I AM however, authorised to perform legal marriage ceremonies anywhere within Australia!

Q. If I opt for a legal marriage overseas, will it be recognised back home in Australia?

A. Yes! As long as the following Australian legal requirements are observed;

  • the marriage is recognised as valid under the law of the country where the marriage took place and you have a certificate stating that fact.
  • the marriage is between a man and a woman (until same sex marriage is recognised in Australia!)
  • Both the bride and groom were of the legal age of 18 at the time of marriage.
  • Neither the bride nor groom were married to any other person at the time of marriage.

Q. Would I need to have a legal ceremony back home BEFORE or AFTER my destination wedding?

A. Either! It’s completely up to you.

Q. If I choose to have a legal marriage overseas, will I still need to have a second legal ceremony back home in Australia?

A. No. The marriage certificate you obtain at your destination wedding will be sufficient in establishing the validity of your marriage. Though please keep in mind that some Australian legal institutions may not accept a foreign certificate in order to change your name. Instead, a legal change of name through the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages will be required – which although isn’t a difficult process, would not be necessary if your marriage was registered within Australia!


Happy travelling!