Destination Weddings are becoming more and popular with couples who would rather travel to a tropical paradise for a holiday with an intimate guest list, than spend a small fortune on a larger wedding at home.
Destination weddings in tropical locations can be spectacularly beautiful, but sometimes it’s best to have all the legal side of things taken care of at home. So why have two celebrants, when you can have just one destination wedding celebrant who can do it all?!
You can acquire the services of a local celebrant to conduct both a legal ceremony at home AND a destination wedding at a location of your choice! I can ensure that the entire marriage process is easier, stress free, more streamlined and a whole lot more personalised!
- You can meet with me well in advance to plan a personalised ceremony face to face BEFORE you head off to your destination wedding.
- I can eliminate any language barrier problems or any costly translation services that may be required when when employing the services of an international celebrant.
- All the legal paperwork can be completed at home before you leave, so no lost or misplaced certificates to worry about!
- You can receive your official, government issued certificate of marriage at home, eliminating the need to pack any unnessessary legal documents to take with you. (minimum processing times apply).
- Anyone unable to attend your destination wedding can attend the legal ceremony at home, at any location of your choice!
All countries have their own rules and regulations when it comes to getting married overseas. Some require both a minister of religion and a civil registrar to conduct two seperate marriage ceremonies held on the same day!
You may need to arrive at your destination wedding days earlier, just to obtain & complete all the correct legal obligations with all the relevant consulates.
Some countries also require both parties to be of the same religion, so you may be required to visit various religious authorities to arrange a second ceremony, and who knows if they’re going to be open/ available on your date!
So put your mind at ease and leave the planning of absolutely every part of your legal marriage to one celebrant!
Q. Can you, as an Australian Civil Marriage Celebrant, perform a legal ceremony overseas?
A. No. I am only licensed to perform legal marriages within Australia.
So, a wedding I conduct overseas would be a ‘Ceremony of Commitment’, which would be EXACTLY like any other wedding, but with a keepsake certificate of commitment in the absence of any legal documents/certificates.
I AM however, authorised to perform legal marriage ceremonies anywhere within Australia!
Q. If I choose to legally marry overseas, will it be recognised back home in Australia?
A. Yes! As long as the following Australian legal requirements are observed;
- your marriage is recognised as valid under the law of the country where the marriage took place and you have a signed certificate evidencing the fact.
- The marrying parties were 18 years of age or over at the time of marriage.
- Neither party was legally married to any other person at the time of marriage.
Q. Would I need to have a legal ceremony back home BEFORE or AFTER my destination wedding?
A. Either! It’s completely up to you.
Q. If I choose to have a legal marriage overseas, will I still need to have a second legal ceremony back home in Australia?
A. No. The marriage certificate you obtain at your destination wedding will be sufficient in establishing the validity of your marriage. Though please keep in mind that some Australian legal institutions may not accept a foreign certificate in order to change your name. Instead, a legal change of name through the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages could be required – which although isn’t a difficult process, would not be necessary if your marriage was registered within Australia!